Here are some helpful resources for more information about autism, disability, and mental health!
- CDC Autism Links and Resources – The Official Centers of Disease Control and Prevention excellent guide to autism resources.
- Autism Resources for Families – The National Autism Center’s mission is to provide leadership and comprehensive evidence-based resources to families, practitioners, and policymakers, to programs and organizations, and to the national community.
- Autism Society of America – The Autism Society is the nation’s leading grassroots autism organization aimed at improving the lives of all affected by autism through public awareness, advocacy, and sharing the latest information regarding treatment, education, research and advocacy. (Autism Society Los Angeles Chapter here)
- Autism Speaks – Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions.
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network – The Autistic Self Advocacy Network is a national grassroots disability rights organization for the autistic community run by and for autistic Americans, advocating for systems change and ensuring that the voices of autistic people are heard in policy debates and the halls of power by educating communities, supporting self-advocacy in all its forms, and improving public perceptions of autism.
- Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents – Sesame Street and Autism: See Amazing in All Children is a nationwide initiative aimed at communities with children to offer families ways to manage common challenges, to simplify everyday activities, and to grow connections and support from family, friends, and community.
- Jewish Los Angeles Special Needs Trust – JLA Special Needs Trust ensures that children and adults with disabilities are able to obtain a high quality of life by leveraging the power of community to assist with financial security and peace of mind.
- The Miracle Project – The Miracle Project provides individuals with autism and other disabilities the tools to build communication, social skills, community, and greater self-esteem through inclusive theater and expressive arts programs.
- Tuck Sleep – A comprehensive guide of autism and sleep
- Creating a Home Where Your Child Can Thrive with a Disability – A one-stop resource for how to create an accessible and friendly environment
- Golden Heart Ranch – The Hermosa Beach-based organization helps people with disabilities provide meaningful classes, programs and social events that encourage and facilitate vocational and independent living skills for everyday life in an inclusive community.
- Temple Grandin’s Teaching Tips – Autism advocate Temple Grandin shares her thoughts on how to raise autistic children.
- Los Angeles Department of Mental Health – Los Angeles’ one-stop shop for delivering services to the mentally ill that promote independence through personal recovery and connectedness though community reintegration.
- NAMI Los Angeles – NAMI is a grass-roots, education, support and advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of people with a brain disorder (mental illness).